Up Your Protein Intake With These 6 Satisfying Lunch Suggestions!
Want a noontime meal that will cost less, taste better, and provide more nutrition than most dining-out options? Try the following – each is easy to make and will fill you up without emptying your wallet.
- Vegetarian chili – beans and fresh vegetables provide protein and fiber. Top with whole milk natural cheese for an extra serving of calcium.
- Salmon salad and whole grain crackers – canned salmon is a cost-effective way to get omega-3 fatty acids into your diet: simply mix wild-caught salmon with some lemon juice, pepper, and fresh herbs and spread on fiber-rich crackers. Salmon also tastes great when mixed with mashed avocado or fresh guacamole.
- Hummus and vegetables – easy to pack, and the chickpeas in the hummus provide protein and fiber, while the vegetables offer up antioxidants. Bring a variety of organic, colorful vegetables for interesting taste and texture.
- Miso soup and edamame – miso is full of isoflavones, antioxidants, and protective fatty acids, and edamame contains isoflavones that have antioxidant activity and may help lower cancer risk. Opt for organic soy options as often as possible.
- Barley salad – barley is satisfying. Start with barley and add whatever you prefer – grilled vegetables, tofu, beans – for a customized salad that can be eaten warm or cold.
- Lentil soup – a good source of fiber and magnesium, lentils cook quickly and are filling and satisfying year-round